Friday, May 6, 2011

Contact Photography Festival

There are a ton of gallery openings going on this weekend around the Junction. Saturday night to be precise. 6-9 pm is the timeframe for visiting 20 or so galleries on Dundas between Annette and a few blocks west of Keele. I saw a bunch of great shows on Queen Street last night. There were a lot of people-less photographs. The presence of people in photographs brings an energy to them which makes them preferable to me. Which raises the question: Why don't my photos have more people in them? Answer: Because I don't want to invade their privacy or take their photo without permission. Once they know they are being photographed, the spontaneity, and the quality of the photo, is lost. Nonetheless, all the photos last night were well worth the walk to see them.  I also saw some cool paintings by an artist named Joe Fleming. I could see those being put up in the big modern art museums of the world in the near future. I know few will read this and my one follower who is in England, bless you Molly, will assuredly not be attending. If you do get this message, I urge you to trek west beyond the glamour of Queen or Bloor Street and check out Toronto's biggest photographic night.

No comments:

Post a Comment